Don’t think you need motorcycle security? Consider this:
• Over 100 Motorcycles are stolen everyday in the UK.
• Over £3m worth of bikes are stolen in the UK every month.
• Over 80% of bikes are stolen from home.
• A bike is over twice as likely to be stolen as a car.
So maybe you do. Here’s what you need to do:
• Get a combined alarm and electronic immobiliser fitted professionally.
• Get a good lock and use it - you may get a discount on your insurance premiums.
• Secure your bike to something solid that can’t be moved and keep the lock off the ground - as this makes it harder to break.
• Security mark your bike in as many places as possible to deter the parts thief.
• If you’ve got a garage use it and lock it.
• Keep your keys safe and out of sight at all times.
• Always put the steering lock on. It makes it harder to wheel the motorcycle away.
• Don’t leave your helmet or other possessions on your bike.
• If you ride an off-road bike, ask the DVLA to register its details (frame and engine numbers) on their own and police computers - it’s free.
• If you’re buying a second hand bike, have a good look at the registration documents and always check the bike’s history with HPI Group Ltd, Carwatch UK Ltd., the AA or the RAC.